Saturday, November 8, 2014

Addition Machine: DIY

I love teaching addition to young children. They have such a fascination with the idea of taking two separate amounts and combining them to get another new amount. Manipulatives are key when kids are first learning to add.
I love hands-on learning. Hands-on learning encourages kids to become active participants in their own learning. They can actually handle and manipulate the objects to explore a concept.

The addition machine is a simple way to transform a mathematical concept into a magical learning experience. When I first started teaching, I was a special education resource teacher. I traveled around with a cart. Since I was a traveling classroom, any math manipulatives used had to be small and portable. To take up space on my cart, any manipulative had to show real worth.

This machine is worth it's weight in gold. I started with a PVC drain from the hardware store. Kids put manipulatives into each opening on the drain and unscrewed the bottom to "add" the two sides together.
You can see the blog post with the old addition machine here.
A month ago, I found this amazing picture on Pinterest.  See the pin here.  I couldn't find the original blog post, so I'm not able to give credit, but you can see the awesome idea below.
I tried to recreate this amazing addition machine and came up with two different options. Head over to my blog to get the DIY directions for the Addition Machine. It is so easy to make and I promise you will love it! 

Check out some more creative teaching ideas on the Teach Junkie Link-up!
http://www.teachjunkie.com/
 Until next month, 

20 comments:

  1. How CUTE!!! I want to make one today :) Thanks for sharing!
    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you are so creative! Great idea and what a fun way to practice addition!!
    Elyse :)
    Proud to be Primary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura- This is another great math tool! What a great way to inspire kiddos to get in and work.
    Take care, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura did you get the hardware store to cut the middle hole in the pvc pipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! It's even easier than that. The pipe is actually called a P trap, I think. It comes with a plug that screws in the bottom. You just unscrew the plug and you have a hole!
      Laura

      Delete
  5. I neeeeeeeeed one of these in my classroom! I am definitely making one before the week is out. (I would do it today, but my husband is telling me that the hardware store is closed on Sundays.)
    Rachel
    http://drowninginapplesauce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best ideas for addition I've seen in a long time! I've seen it made with cardboard tubes, but this is SO much better! Thank you so much!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome!! I hope your kids love it as much as mine do :)
      Laura

      Delete
  7. This is absolutely amazing! I need to start getting the items to make one!!!
    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you can use this for differentiating lessons with the transparent or opaque canister!
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Thanks so much for commenting. It made my day :)
      Laura

      Delete
  9. This is so awesome! I am really struggling as a first year teacher to find activities for my centers! This is so awesome. I am definitely incorporating it into my centers next week! My kids get really bored with just blocks or manipulatives, they need something challenging to keep the addition skill up to ten fluently.
    Thanks,
    Ms. Rumph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi buddies, it is great written piece entirely defined, continue the good work constantly.

    children education allowance exemption

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found your post interesting to read and i want to say that this is a best post i have ever seen until now. Take a look at this profile Blanca Melby

    ReplyDelete