Thursday, October 16, 2014

Guided Math - Teaching Time to the Hour

I am Abbey from A Teacher Mom and I am so excited to be blogging with you on The Primary Pack!  I will be back on the 16th of every month and I hope you will like what you read! 


I have been LOVING all of the AMAZING ideas put forth thus far and I have to say I was feeling more than a little intimidated as I was planning this post, but I decided to go with something I am excited about right now GUIDED MATH. 

If you follow me on my blog, you would have read along with me last summer as I read Guided Math by Laney Sammons.  The book was INSPIRING and has changed the way that I have been teaching math this year!  Today I want to share with you some ideas you may use as you are planning a guided math lesson OR you may use these ideas with ANY style math lesson teaching kiddos how to tell time to the hour!

To start as a team we met to make grids for each lesson.  We teach time to the hour for 2 days.  These are the grids we made:




Math is planned to be 60 minutes each day.  Each group is planned for 20 minutes and each group is differentiated based on pre-assessment data.  The lessons have independent activities as the other 2 stations.  This is so that the kiddos can be independent while you are teaching the small group. 

I will be honest - for the last 10 years I have taught this lesson whole class.  Very few of my firsties know about an analog clock, so to me that always meant - whole class lesson.  This year since I am committed to small groups, I went searching - Pinterest and TPT are my BFF's!  While I found a TON - the MOTHER-LOAD was HERE with Regan Tunstall's blog Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits and best of all - IT IS ALL FREE!

I decided that to start, I really wanted to teach all about the analog clock, since more and more kids have never even seen one!  This great activity was done in small groups.  I did pre-make the clock circles and glued on blank squares.


Then as a small group we talked about all of the pieces of the clock and labeled them (thanks to Regan's freebies).  I printed the hands of the clocks in color because I REALLY want kids to differentiate the hands from the beginning - this was always something I realized they misunderstood too late :(.  


Here is a completed clock:


Some students on day 1, but all students on day 2 will be playing a Clock Roll Game - Also, from Regan's site (and also FREE!). 

I used oversized dice and taped on various digital times.

Then I made these game boards and laminated them. 


Students will roll the dice and record the digital and analog clock time with a dry-erase or overhead marker.  Kiddos LOVED this game!!

For the second day's teacher directed station, I wanted kids to show what they knew (or what they still needed to work on).  I found these super cute clock puzzles on TPT (another FREEBIE).  


Once they complete the puzzles and I check them, I have some practice work where students need to read and write time to the hour.  

I also found this cute video on YouTube.  I showed this before the second day's stations began!



Finally, I want to leave you with something you can use!  If your kiddos know how to play memory, they will be able to play Time Match.  The clocks included are all times to the hour - analog and digital.  Students will match the analog time with the digital time.  


Find your freebie HERE!

Thanks for joining me this month!  I hope you liked what you saw.  Let me know if you try any of these ideas out - I would LOVE to hear how it goes!!


3 comments:

  1. Great activities for telling time! Thank you for sharing! I will definitely be able to use your freebie when it comes time for me to teach it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear more about your guided math schedule, Abbey! Thanks for sharing these activities for telling time!

    Ashley
    One Sharp Bunch

    ReplyDelete