Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"Greater Gator"- DIY

Hi, everyone!  It's Laura from Differentiation Station Creations.  I am so excited to be a part of The Primary Pack!  This is an extraordinary chance to collaborate with an extremely talented group of teachers.
I am a teacher with a background in special education.  I have a Masters of Arts in Teaching with a focus in special education.  I am certified in early childhood education, special education, and elementary education.  I have taught in a variety of settings, including a special education center, inclusion classrooms in elementary school, and as a resource room teacher in an elementary school. 

My role in education now is  as a "mommy teacher", collaborative teacher, blogger, and creator.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to be a stay-at-home mom with my kids and keep my head and heart in teaching.  My kids have had amazing teachers, who are willing to collaborate with me.  Since I entered the world of blogging, I am now able to share my ideas with you!

"Greater Gator" is my DIY math manipulative for you!  I needed a cheap and easy math manipulative to help a student really grasp the concept of greater and less than.  Many of the students, that I work with, learn best with concrete, hands-on activities.  I am a great believer in manipulatives and FUN!
"Greater Gator" is made out of 2 cloth dusters from the dollar store.
You can head over to my blog to get the step-by-step directions in pictures and pick up FREE songs and chants to use with Greater Gator!
Get some other ideas on how to use Greater Gator, too!

Thanks for checking out "Greater Gator" with me!  I hope you found some fun ideas for your students.  Don't forget to come back tomorrow for more amazing ideas!!

I've linked up with Teaching Blog Addict for the fabulous Freebie Friday!
http://www.teachingblogaddict.com/2015/01/freebie-friday-january-23rd.html



12 comments:

  1. OMGosh Laura! I'm rushing out to the Dollar Store TODAY to make a Greater Gator! How stinkin' cute! I just can't believe that two of those duster things can be turned into such a wonderful manipulative for kids to use for this difficult subject. I just can't get over how cute it is. I also appreciate all the photos and extra ideas you included in your post of how to use the gator. That really helps a lot. And I just can't say enough about the clip art...
    Wonderful Post My Friend,
    Cara Taylor
    Creative Playground

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cara! Greater Gator is always a hit with my kids!! Thanks for your support :)
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Laura! This is SO cute! Thank you for sharing. This would be perfect for those students who need the extra help with hands on learning! :) But I also think that all children would enjoy the cuteness of that little fluffy gator!

    Meredith
    Creativity to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura I LOVE HIM!!! I can't believe I am EXCITED to go out and buy dusters!!!! The dust bunnies in my house and going to be shivering with fear until they realize it's all for play and learning! Ha! You always have the most creative and innovative ways to turn dollar store items into learning treasures that make learning fun, hands on and meaningful! Thanks for bringing greater gator to life!
    Jenn
    Crayons & Cuties In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day, Jenn! Thanks for helping me with the chants and songs :)
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Laura, Greater Gator is seriously the best! He is beyond cute! I just can't get over how adorable he is! I'm thinking he would be an excellent puppet for Five Little Monkeys, as well! I can't wait to head to the dollar store to grab the dusters! I already have the stones and eyes. What a great, inexpensive manipulative!

    Ashley
    One Sharp Bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! He would be great in a center! I would love to see your gator!!
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Holy Moly Laura! Your Greater Gator is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E !!!!!!! I'm wondering if I could take the Greater Gator to our Gator games this year?!? I just love the hands-on experience that you are offering the kids.
    Take Care, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Greater Gator would love to go to the games with you!!! Thanks so much, Amy!
      Laura

      Delete
  6. This is AWESOME! My kids are going to LOVE this! I always do Greater Gator to teach greater than/less than but this gator is way cooler than my Popsicle stick one. Also, I love "2 Goofy Numbers Sitting in a Tree" song. I can't wait to use it with my class.

    Rachel
    http://drowninginapplesauce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rachel! I hope your kids love it as much as mine do!
      Laura

      Delete