Monday, February 2, 2015

Valentine Art Ideas

Hi Everyone! Happy Groundhog Day!

It's Emily from Emmy Mac's Class! I'm excited to be back for another Primary Pack post. We had a snow day today and Wiarton Willie didn't see his shadow! So it will be an early spring for Ontario. I hear that our neighbours to the south weren't so lucky! Sorry about that! :)

 I thought I would bring you two art ideas that you could do with just about any class for Valentine's Day! Not to mention that they are super easy and they look gorgeous.

Watercolour Resist Hearts

What you will need:

  • watercolour paints
  • brushes
  • watercolour paper or cartridge/drawing paper
  • bristol board
  • pencil & scissors

Step 1: Make a heart
Have the students make a heart out of bristol board or you can make your own templates.

Here is a simple trick for making a heart. Before you fold the paper in half. But a dot on the edge of each side.


When, they draw the half heart they know not to draw it on the side with the dots. This has saved countless papers and my sanity!


Step 2: Place
Place the heart where you want it on the watercolour paper. You can use tape to hold it in place.

Step 3: Paint


Be careful not to paint under the edge of the heart. When you are done remove the heart.


Let dry and you are done!


Bright Hearts

This art project was inspired by Jenny Murphy Design's Happy Hearts. I thought her hearts were so much fun!

What you will need:

  • cartridge paper or other drawing paper (I cut my paper in 10" squares. You could also double one length to make cards)
  • pencil
  • oil pastels, crayons, or markers
Step 1:  Draw a heart lightly in pencil.

Step 2: Draw a variety of vertical lines ( I suggested between 6 and 8 for my class)

Step 3: Now, draw horizontal lines. (Sorry I didn't get a good picture of this one. But it's pretty self explanatory. 

Step 4: Trace over the pencil lines with a permanent marker.



Step 5: Colouring in the hearts can be tricky. I had my students bring me there page and I put dots in the square so they would know where to colour each colour.

Once they have a "map" to follow, the colouring part is easy! 


Thanks for stopping by!





1 comment:

  1. I love the hearts and lines! What an easy way for the kids to know where to put the colors. This might appear in my art center next week. Thanks!

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete