Sunday, February 22, 2015

Phonics Fun! Videos, Freebies, & More

Hi friends! Kelly here, from Sweet Sounds of Kindergarten! I'm here today to share with you some of my favorite ways to spice up your phonics lessons!! My post includes some fun youtube videos that my first grade team and I just love, as well as a few little goodies that have gotten me through all 4 (yes, that's right 4) of my formal observations that I've had this year. :)

First is a great video from the Electric Company about "silent E." Maybe you've already seen this video and use it in your classroom and I'm just late to the party, but I just discovered it this year! My class adores it and sings it ALL the time!



This next video is probably my favorite!! My firsties request it on an almost daily basis.
 I played this video during a PowerPoint presentation to reinforce the mini lesson I had just taught during an observation too, and all four of the administrators in the room LOVED it! :)




This last video is just for fun… BUT my kids LOVE that it has One Direction in it. I think it is hilarious!! I think 'u' is one of the hardest vowels to teach, and this song helps to reinforce both long and short vowel 'u.' Thanks Sesame Street!! :)




My next phonics trick is something else that I used during an observation as a warm-up/check for understanding for my kiddos. It's super easy to prep. All you need is card stock, and clothespins.

I used this as an oral review to see if my kiddos could distinguish between the different long vowel sounds in a word. I gave one of these to each of my students. I would say a word, and then they would move the clothespin to the long vowel sound that they heard in that word. They would hold up their answer and I could quickly scan the room to see who had got it, and who needed my help! This would work for short vowels too, beginning or ending sounds, and any other phonics skill you want your class to review! 

If you'd like to download an EDITABLE version for your class, click on the pictures below: 


Finally, my last phonics idea for you is a little story that I wrote to use during my last observation when I taught the /ow/ sound as in the word 'cow.' 
Yes, I know I've talked A LOT about observations in this post. My district is big on formal observations, and I am done for the year, BUT they have been a huge part of my last 6 months! 
Lots of stress, and growth, but I can say that I did well and survived! :) 

Here's a picture of the story that I used with my kiddos. They loved it, especially because I let them use a highlighter to highlight the 'ow' words in the story. Sadly, I don't have any photos because I was getting observed! I was still too nervous after the observation was over to remember to snap a photo of one of my kiddos' worksheets either. Oops! 

You can download this passage for FREE in my TPT store!! Click on the picture below to head over there and grab it. :) 


Along with this FREEBIE, I just uploaded to TPT my newest pack for teaching comprehension and phonics. It is part of my Comprehension Minis series, but with a phonics twist! 
This pack includes 2 versions for each of 12 passages to reinforce long vowels. One version for each story is more phonics based. It includes vocabulary and has students write their own sentence at the end of the worksheet to reinforce the new phonics skill. The second version for each story is more comprehension based. It includes 5 comprehension questions for each passage. 



The long vowel sound/spelling combinations in this new pack include: 
ai, ay, a_e, ea, ee, _y, i_e, igh, o_e, oa, ow, u_e, ue

Check it out on TPT: 


Thanks for joining me for some fun with phonics today, friends! 
See you next month! 








No comments:

Post a Comment