Saturday, January 10, 2015

What can you do in a 15 minute small reading group??? [Plus a: READER FREEBIE]

Hello Friends~
Welcome back to the Primary Pack! It's Dianna here with you today from, Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching.
I currently am at a year around school in North Carolina & I am still on Winter Intersession! So I am going to enjoy my last weekend off before the 3rd 9 weeks starts on Monday. On that note, I hope everyone has enjoyed their holiday vacation & I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Today I'm here to share with you my small group reading instruction materials & plan for primary grades. I do not have a class of my own anymore, nor do I pull small groups. But I do go into classrooms to help with a variety of tasks so I have to keep my materials in tow. I will be starting to do some work on Monday in a 1st Grade Classroom so I have prepped my materials & plan to conduct reading groups. 

Remember, small group reading instruction can vary from class to class, group to group or grade to grade. Your small group instruction needs to connect to data or current Tier 1 instruction for students who need more explicit instruction. Always make sure you have a meaningful goal in mind for each small group!

So I spent some time today dragging items home from my building to prep over the weekend for Monday ---->

My Prepared Supplies:
I LOVE my large flexible basket from Hobby Lobby because of the handles it carries like a bag but I can fit more items in a more organized fashion. 

Expandable folders are my best friend! I use them for everything at school & at home. It is easy for me to not only store loose materials in, but to organize anything extra by groups in.


My 15 minute Small Group Routine:

Click HERE for a direct link to the Phonics Books!


Click HERE for a direct link to make your own Making Words Folder!






If you are thinking, "5 minutes, that's it?" you are not wrong. But let me remind you, that this plan focuses on students from the ages of Kindergarten ~ 2nd Grade. That is 5 years old ~ 8 years old. This is 5 minutes "in the text". For the other time out of the text, we are still reading new or old words, practicing phonics, thinking about reading [which is also "in the text" during our book walk] & talking/writing about reading. For that age group, it ends up being a lot, but powerful. Guided reading is not sustained independent reading, which we would like this age group to do alone for 15 minutes+. Guiding reading is giving students the tools to successfully read independently. In a perfect world we would love to have 20-30 minutes of small group instruction, but with scheduling and 25+ 6 & 7 year olds in the classroom, you make the most of every minute you have. 

Most importantly, group structure is flexible & interchangeable. You do what your students need at that time to help them grow!

I have created a FREEBIE for our readers in 2 versions to use on your own. Remember, we always need to plan ahead for our small groups. I hope you find these options simple & easy to use ---->


Here's a sample of one of my plans for next week ---->
Click HERE to grab this viewer only FREEBIE!

I hope this is helpful information to you & you get good use out of it! Thank you for reading!

Make sure to stay in touch & follow me:

12 comments:

  1. Improving my small group reading instruction is a huge goal of mine for second semester! I love everything about this useful post, and thanks so much for the planning pages!
    Gratefully,
    ~Jennifer
    Stories and Songs in Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet girl! Thanks for your feedback! I am always trying to make my time with students more meaningful. I am continuously adjusting:-) Happy New Year! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wow! Such a fabulous post! It is so important for us to reevaluate our teaching to ensure that we are making the most out of those 15 min. blocks! Thanks for breaking it down by the minutes and sharing the planning pages! Just awesome!!

    Amber
    Mrs. Masters’ Kinder Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it! Every minute counts during instruction, we live & we learn to make it better each time:-) xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love your shares! Thanks! Would love to hear more about what you do with your second graders...same or different? I have some kiddos in second grade reading on a 4th and 5th grade level...Yikes...trying to keep them moving!
    Mrs. Samuelson's Swamp Frogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi~ Thanks for asking! I don't know if I have all the answers but I can tell you what I would do first.

    When I have kids above grade level for reading comprehension I pull the instructional text I plan to instruct with and first look at the strategy or skill focus for that specific book.

    Then I go to the standards, I like to look at them stacked & teach towards the standard of that grade level associated with the book level for instruction.

    So for example, if I have a second grade group of high students who's instructional level is O/P I would pull a text. Then I would look at my correlation chart.

    Say the book's instructional strategy focus is main idea. I know that this reading level is 3rd grade so I would pull the 2nd grade standards to continue to practice with along with using as the start of my building block & the 3rd grade standards to start teaching them. I have a post about the tool I like to use to help me with this ----> http://theprimarypack.blogspot.com/2014/12/stacking-ela-standards-for.html

    The other thing I strongly consider is teaching new content vocabulary of higher level texts & to teach the academic vocabulary that would come with comprehension questions of higher level texts. I like to create comprehension questions using the academic language from the standards the text is aligned to b/c that is what students will see/hear for assessments.

    I do my best to keep consistent routines regardless of the reading leveled groups so that things run smoothly each meeting we have.

    I hope that helps a little! Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What great suggestions! Thanks for sharing more stupendous resources!

      Delete
  5. This was a fabulous post!! :) Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thank you for you sharing. This will be very helpful. I was wondering where to find copies of the guide you use for your book walks? I have searched the internet and TPT with no luck. Thank you for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a guide so to speak, I talk about new HFW & Vocabulary words. We find them & read them. We talk about the story through the illustrations. Just real simple, giving them a little guidance before they get started:-)

      Delete
  7. where did you find those super cute reading strategy pages??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a fan freebie from so long ago, I search & couldn't find them anymore:-(

      Delete